Total Pageviews

Monday, August 22, 2011

Yet Another Great Weekend

 The Bistro...
 The peach and pecan cobblers...to die for!
Bikes on a fence...Tim loved them and wanted a picture!
An old Coke machine that worked!  I had to have one...the original old coca cola bottles. $1.10.  They cost her $1.00 and the .10 was for the two nickels she gave me to put into the machine to get my coke!  It was ICE COLD too! Delicious!
 Our little B&B cottage...ain't it cute?
Tim and I drove to the quaint little Town of Salado Saturday afternoon and stayed at a cute little Bed & Breakfast and just drove around and enjoyed the surroundings.  We checked in and then went to a little Bistro and shared a bottle of Chardonnay and I had a bowl of their Chicken Tortilla Soup as I had not eaten and was starving!  We were looking forward to a nice dinner so I didn't want to get full but yet had to put something in my tummy to go with the delicious wine we were sharing.

While we were in this adorable Bistro we started talking to the neatest young couple and their one year old little girl.  He overheard us asking about where to have supper and chimed in "do you like a good steak?"  Well ummmm, YEAH!  We love a good steak and usually share a ribeye as they are so big...he said we had to try Johnny's as it was pretty much the best steak he's ever had and he has sent many people there to eat and they have all loved it.  AND on Saturdays their special is a Sirloin dinner for Two.  And let me tell you, this is not just a little sirloin, it was an inch thick and 32 oz!!! Plus we each got a salad and a choice of potato....we are both potato freaks so he had the mashed and I had to have their fries because I have been "searching" Austin for my favorite kind of home style fries.  When she told me they make their own fries I knew that would be my choice...well, it would have been my choice anyway...and so to top it off they were THE fries I've been searching for!  So for $41 (included a $7 tip as they were wonderful and the young girls' deserved it because Tim teased them relentlessly) we got: a huge 32 oz med-rare DELICIOUS Sirloin grilled over a mesquite pit, two salads, mashed potatoes for him and home fries for me, Texas toast for two (which I only had a bite because I wanted to save room in my tummy for the steak), a neverending glass of Sweet Tea for me, one Michelob Ultra for Tim, and a peach cobbler with a huge scoop of ice cream and the unbelievable pecan cobbler with huge scoop of ice cream!  Great service, atmosphere and even better yet for Tim, owned by an Aggie alumni!  So there were cool pictures all over from A&M.  Well worth the money and only 45 minutes away, so we WILL be making a road trip to Johnny's again soon!

We found the cutest barn that was being set up for a wedding so we went inside to check it out and it was like the barn in Hope Floats with all the little white lites everywhere...we looked at all the pictures on the tables and the decorations and saw the koozies that had the date and name of the couple and guess what? They were Aggie alumni as well and had A&M on the koozie! What's up with the Aggie theme goin on here?

Drove around the little town and took a few pictures and saw a few things we wanted to take pictures of the next morning.  Tim is getting so good at find things that he knows I would love to shoot...he's becoming quite the Assistant and is fun to just joy ride with and look at the beautiful countryside we call Texas.  It is so relaxing and actually exciting to find a cool old car, truck or barn to shoot pictures of!  It's like find a treasure or something...it is just so much fun and so enjoyable to have someone to share my love of photography with and who just "gets it".   Last weekend we were on our way to New Braunfels and I was trying to take a picture of my last quart of moonshine in the car and having a difficult time doing so without it being blurry.  All of a sudden he stopped the car and I thought it was so I could take a non-blurry of my moonshine so I immediately said thank you and gave him a little kiss for doing so...he then pointed to the right and there sat a really cool old car that he knew I would want a picture of...It kind of took my breath away when he does things like that because I'm not used to it and it is just thoughtful and sweet.  All I can say is it is a wonderful way to enjoy each day being cherished like that by someone :)  just plain amazing really....

So then Sunday we get up bright and early (around 6:00 a.m.) and drive around to get some sunrise shots and some of a big ole' red barn we had found the day before.  Stopped at Roy T's Donut Shop to try their donuts as one of his friends that he works with said we had to try them...well I only had a half a donut because they didn't compare to Round Rock Donuts in the least and I wanted to save my calories for my first ever B&B breakfast!  We drove around some more and found the coolest old police car and four old volkswagon bugs sitting in a field all in a row.  Tim found both of these...see, he's getting really good at being my Assistant!

Then back to the B&B for a breakfast of Egg bake with sausage and cheese, fresh strawberries, bananas with cinnamon sprinkled on them, cinnamon rolls and biscuits with four types of preserves. It was pretty good but I'm still a better cook and all I could think of was what I would be cooking for breakfast if I ran a B&B! Silly me....

Then we drove our short jaunt back to Austin and enjoyed Sunday with his daughter Jordan before she starts school Tuesday.  Decided to make my own batch of chicken tortilla soup since I wanted to prove MY tortilla soup is better and have actually been craving it lately for some reason...made it from scratch (including the corn tortilla strips) to put on top.  Only thing missing was fresh avacado as neither one of us wanted to venture to the store. 

I proofed our pictures from the weekend and posted them on Facebook then took an hour long nap...watched the neatest show about catfish noodling in Oklahoma.  It made me want to go noodle for catfish!  Only thing that really bothered me were all the snakes they kept showing swimming in the river! Creepy...

We were going to top the weekend off and go see Jon Wolfe again at Nutty Brown Cafe but he didn't play until 8pm and we knew we wouldn't get back until around 11pm...both had to work and just were a little tuckered out.  So finished my book and went to bed at 9pm!

Just another wonderful weekend with great memories to file away in my little blonde head.....loving life right now...can you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment